Welcome to the OCEANS Student Poster Competition page. This page was designed to answer questions you may have about the programme, as it differs significantly from conference poster sessions conducted within other conferences.
The OCEANS Student Poster Competition offers an opportunity for students to travel to an OCEANS conference to present their research, expenses paid. In Aberdeen the posters from 20 students will be selected for this prestigious programme. Students from colleges and universities around the world are eligible to compete.
Please take some time to read the information provided on the site, however please also feel free to ask any questions you may have. We hope you will considered submitting an abstract to the Student Poster Competition as this is a wonderful opportunity to share your research, present during a professional conference, network with industry professionals, meet like-minded students from all over the world, and travel!
- All students should enter the student poster competition via the regular Technical Programme, and select the option for consideration in the SPC programme. The same deadlines apply for abstract submission as do for the student posters.
- The accepted abstracts are submitted to a dedicated bench of reviewers, who will identify the successful abstracts.
- The successful students will be asked to follow a template for their poster.
- Students must attend the meeting with the OCEANS Student Poster Chair on the first day of the conference, at which the rules of play for the poster presentations will be explained.
- Abstracts for the Student Poster Competition undergo two reviews. All efforts are made to send notifications about selection at the same time as Technical Program Abstract notification – see the Key Dates sidebar for more details.
- You will be expected to submit your poster electronically by the due date (usually two weeks before the conference. The exact date will be communicated to you nearer the time).
- More information will be emailed to successful students later in the process - please remember to check your emails!!
PRIZES & REIMBURSEMENT
The winning three posters will attract monetary prizes: one 1st place (3000 $) - the Norman Miller prize, one 2nd place (2000 $) and one 3rd place (1000 $).
We expect participants to attend the Prize Giving Ceremony on Thursday 22nd of June (the third day of the conference). We also encourage you to attend the Student Networking Event!
All participating students (who attend the compulsory meeting with the Student Poster Chair on the first day of the conference) will receive reimbursement for their travel and accommodation on the last day of the conference. You must provide receipts and paper boarding passes in order to receive reimbursement.
IF YOU WERE NOT ACCEPTED…
If a student has indicated on our online submission system that they would like their abstract to be considered for the Student Poster Competition but are unsuccessful, then their abstract automatically becomes eligible for consideration through the regular abstract review process.
If you are not selected for the Student Poster Competition, but your abstract is selected for the Technical Programme, we encourage you to attend the conference to present your research (as an oral presentation), however registration, travel and accommodation must then be covered by your own resources. The OCEANS conferences do not offer general travel grants, etc. All of the presentations under the regular Technical Programme will be oral only.
Also, bear in mind that you are welcome to enter the student poster competition even if you have entered or taken part in the past. The competition is highly competitive, so we encourage you to try again if you were unsuccessful before.
The only people prohibited from applying again are those who have won first prize in the competition.
IF YOU WERE ACCEPTED…
We recommend that you prepare a 5 minute oral presentation of your research – and practice, practice, practice!
You will receive a full conference registration included as part of your Student Poster Competition award package. This registration includes access to all technical sessions, social events and the Exhibition. Please login to your author dashboard to register as soon as possible. At the end of the registration procedure the system will automatically provide you with complimentary registration.
Please immediately begin to apply for any travel related visas or documentation. Application for these documents often takes longer than you think. There have been students not able to travel to the conference due to lack of or late paperwork. Obtaining required documents is your responsibility, not the responsibility of the conference organizers.